[H-GEN] [Fwd: Looking for 286s]

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Thu Sep 18 00:14:55 EDT 2003

Hi Jamie.  A 386 or 486 should run your tests fine and be easier to get.
Strictly speaking any IA32[1] box should be able to emulate the 286 memory
model (there was a proper name for it but I've forgotten it) fine,
although I wouldn't necessarily trust really recent boxes to act in
exactly the same way.  NB: The 286 memory model I am talking about is
quite distinct from the MMU introduced in the 386 which provided the basis
of all virtual memory OSes used on the IA32 platform today.

The 386SX was particularly like the 286 as it was actually pin compatible
with later 286 models.  A 386 in a 286's clothing, so to speak.

[1] 32bit Intel Architecture

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net