[H-GEN] Apache listening on both network interfaces.

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Sun Sep 14 21:38:27 EDT 2003

httpd : Apache 1.3.27-2
OS :   RedHat Linux 7.3 (fully updated using RHN update agent)
eth0 : 172.30.44.23
eth1 : 172.30.44.24

Extract from /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
<snip>
# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
# ports, in addition to the default. See also the <VirtualHost>
# directive.
#
#Listen 3000
Listen 172.30.44.24
#Listen 80
#
# BindAddress: You can support virtual hosts with this option. This directive
# is used to tell the server which IP address to listen to. It can either
# contain "*", an IP address, or a fully qualified Internet domain name.
# See also the <VirtualHost> and Listen directives.
#
# BindAddress *
BindAddress 172.30.44.24
#
</snip>

The problem is that I don't understand why the server seems to be listening
(and responding) on both eth0 & eth1.  From reading the Apache manual, I
figure that the above directives should ensure the server doesn't listen on
eth0 (172.30.44.23), only on eth1 (172.30.44.24).  Maybe I have just
misunderstood the manual and need some re-education.

Unfortunately, pointing my web browser at either IP address gets the same
default page.  I was expecting to get a "Could not connect to host" error for
172.30.44.23.  From that I conclude that the server is listening on both
interfaces, which is the default behaviour.

Can anyone provide some re-education, or advise a good place to look next.

And, yes I have restarted httpd since changing the config.  :-)