[H-GEN] OpenOffice being pushed in the sub-$1000 PC market

Sandra Milne fakungabubu at internode.on.net
Wed Sep 10 00:15:31 EDT 2003

Andrew Duncan wrote:

> Also, in composition openoffice is lacking.  When MSoffice is only $250,
> why bother with openoffice at all?

I run OOo at home instead of MSOffice and find that 1.0.3 is quite nice.
It has some annoying defaults, but once I isolated where to turn those
off it was fine. (I don't enjoy having autocomplete suggestions thrown
at me when I'm typing a document. My typing speed is 85WPM -- I don't
need assistance.)

Less bloat means I have more disk space to install other software. I've
had no trouble opening word documents even documents created in Word
2002 (Office XP). Excel documents open fine as do PowerPoint documents.
I see no need to spend huge amounts of money on an Office suite and have
my privacy violated and criminality questioned (software activation is a
tool of the devil).

I shall continue to use OOo for as long as I need an Office appliation
that has MS compatibility.

Sandra.
fakungabubu at internode.on.net
**add witty remark/quote here**