[H-GEN] OpenOffice being pushed in the sub-$1000 PC market

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Sep 10 01:46:12 EDT 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Benjamin wrote:

> hardware available in the future? In our minds HTML looks like the most
> durable documentation format available.

If you need more power perhaps SGML.  It might not be flavour of the month
in 10 years time but tools that compile in a POSIX environment will still
be available.  Originally I mentioned LaTex here too, but then I realised
you'd referred to it in a footnote.

> Ultimately we don't have much faith in the future of ms office
> application formats, nor do we really put much stock in the current
> saved forms of freer office suite formats. I'm hoping openoffice or one

At least with these it's possible to get the spec and code something to
read the docs yourself, but the point it valid.  Why risk having to go to
so much trouble when there are easier alternatives.

> Benjamin.
> [1] Yes, TEX and LaTEX are fairly durable, but the tools don't seem
> as... well... secretary friendly?

Lyx?  Ok, I'm only half serious.

Rob

--