HTML Mail in Mozilla (was Re: [H-GEN] OpenOffice being pushed in the sub-$1000 PC market)

Trent WADDINGTON s337240 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Sep 10 02:32:20 EDT 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Sandra Milne wrote:

> On a tangent, is anyone else using Thunderbird? I'm using 0.2 and I love
> it :-) Now if only I could get the "Next" button to work consistently ;-)

I attempted a transition from my two pine accounts to Thunderbird the
other week.  I found the whole thing unsettling.  One of my accounts set
up without fail (except for more than just a little bit of worry about
what IMAP was going to do to my mail file) and the other wasn't reachable
through the university firewall.  I'm still considering doing a port
forward, but I'm not sure about the security of the encryption used on
connections in Thunderbird (can anyone enlighten me?)

My biggest worry is there appears to be no way to turn it off!  Every time
I got a new message an alert would sound, or a box would flash, even
though I had closed the mail reader.  I changed the settings to the
connection such that it *never* checked for new mail unless I told it to
and it still seemed to be probing around without my knowledge.

I can see the benefits of Thunderbird but I have been using pine for so
long that I'm not sure I can make the transition.

Trent