[H-GEN] using webcam on linux & windows

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Sun Sep 7 20:57:56 EDT 2003

On Friday 5 September 2003 07:45 pm, David wrote:

> running Mandrake 9.0 with Win200 in VMWare
>
> I installed a Logitech webcam in Windows and when I try to use it I get a
> message about the host already having control of the device. I'd like to be
> able to use it in Linux but I want to get it going in Windows first. Does
> anyone know what I have to do to get Linux to release it so VMware can take
> control?

My guess would be that you need to unload the host machine's driver that is
controlling the device.  VMware should then be able to provide a virtual USB
interface to the guest system that it looks at to find the webcam.

If my guess is correct, the next thing to find out is whether or not the host
machine's driver is a loadable module that can be unloaded before starting
the VMware instance.