[H-GEN] using webcam on linux & windows

Johann johann at spot-the-dog.com
Sat Sep 6 04:04:14 EDT 2003

Hi David,

David wrote:

>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and     ]
>[ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish. ]
>
>Johann,
>
>Camera is a Logitech QuickCam Express, about... 2 years old? Details are a bit
>sketchy, but there is:
>LOG2010
>Product Code: CVB1589
>Batch# 480132354
>CVB1589 (No idea what that is)
>Product Part number: 961121-0122

excellent, that is enough detail, there are drivers available, but you
may need to re-compile a new kernel with usb and video 4 linux support
(although I would be surprised if Mandrake doesn't already have this),
which can be a little daunting for a newbie, but is not too hard. I'm
not too sure how to check, but have a look in /proc for a video
directory, on my system I have  "/proc/video/qcamvc/video0" (for the
quickcam vc driver, after it has been plugged in).

Also have a look at this website, it has all the info (and the driver
you will need) on getting the quickcam express driver loaded under linux.

http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/

I have two logitech cameras myself, one is the quickcam vc, which I had
running pretty quickly. You will have to download and install the kernel
source code though (it will be on one of the mandrake cds, it'll be
called something like kernel-source-xxx.rpm, to install, as root find
the rpm, and type rpm -Uvh kernel-sourcexxxxx.rpm. where xxxx are the
version numbers of the kernel. It will install it under /usr/src ). You
will also need the program make, type whereis make to see if you have
it, this will also be on the mandrake cds, called something like
make-xxxxx.rpm. Mandrake probably has a package installer for all of
this, but it has been awhile since I have used mandrake, so I don't know
what it is. Apart from that I think Mandrake 9.0 will meet all the other
requirements.

>Mandrake 9.0. What else can I tell you? Told you I was a newbie  ;-)

doh, you mentioned that in you orginal post, but I ignored it.

If you find that a little too much, I suggest taking your box along to a
meeting, there are many friendly people there who can guide you through
the steps. I don't normally attend meetings, so I will be unable to help
you at one.

cheers

Johann

--