[H-GEN] Opposition to SCO

Raymond Smith raymond at humbug.org.au
Tue Sep 2 22:23:13 EDT 2003

Hi Robert,

Robert Brockway said:
> CLIC have asked me to try to get in contact with someone in the
> Australian Linux community who is coordinating efforts there.  Can
> anyone point me in right direction, towards someone who is in a central
> role in organising a nationwide response to SCO in Aus?

There is no such person. At a national level AUUG has been most
visible to the press and the general public. Other visible players
are Open Source Victoria (http://www.osv.org.au/) and the Society
of Linux Professionals WA (http://www.lpwa.asn.au/). Linux Australia
is also doing things.

The best people to contact are probably Con Zymaris <conz at cyber.com.au>
who is involved in Open Source Victoria and AUUG, and Leon Brooks
<leon at cyberknights.com.au> who is on the executive of Linux Australiaand the Society of Linux Professionals WA. Greg Lehey <grog at lemis.com>,
BSDer and AUUG President, has written some excellent material at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/sco.html, including an analysis of the code
presented thus far at http://www.lemis.com/grog/SCO/evidence.html

I think the general mood here in .au is that SCO's claim is baseless
and should be ignored. It doesn't seem to be stopping Telstra or anyone
else from using Linux. The most direct action seen so far is that some
people have made complaints to the ACCC.

Cheers,

Raymond
raymond at humbug.org.au