[H-GEN] install lindows to hdd

Tony Bilbrough tony at bilbrough.org
Mon Oct 27 18:16:35 EST 2003

G'day All,
I have been trialing various flavours of Linux for a while, for ease of
use by non computer orientated Windows users.

I want to give Lindows a fair chance, too.
But it is, without doubt, the slowest cd installer I have ever come
across, and there is no indication that the machine has not frozen
during the 15 minute cd fire up [it hadn't]
- on a 52x, 700 Mz P111 with 512 Mb RAM.

I know how to install Knoppix to the hdd, from a cd, and the operating
speed improvement, there, was terrific.
So I was rather hoping I could do the same with Lindows, as it too comes
with Open Office. Has anyone tried  to install it to hdd?

Lycoris, the other Windows like o/s I wanted to trial, locked up and
died, and I have never got it to run at all, on many different boxen.
Any one else had a similar probs, or maybe I have a dud cd??

I have to say that the 2 Windows users that I have been using both rate
Xandros as the easiest to use, but say that Knoppix is right there with it.
[on Celeron 500 with 256 Mb]
In fact they have now become so adept at using the various Window
Managers, for their day to day tasks, I will have to find another two
Windows users, or the trails will be a bit too skewed!

Never mind. The education system has heaps more!
cheers Tony B

For Knoppix :
open shell
log on as su