[H-GEN] Strange linux file permissions

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sun Oct 19 10:52:23 EDT 2003

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 johannes at paradise.net.nz wrote:

> Has anyone ever seen an ls -la output like below? I have absolutely no
> clue as to how those entries came to life in such a way.
>
> ?rwsrwsrwt  65535 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295 Jan  1  1970
> KonqViewIface.cc
> ?rwsrwsrwt  65535 4294967295 4294967295 4294967295 Jan  1  1970
> KonqViewIface.h

Damn, looks like a filesystem problem to me. Umount the filesystem and
fsck it.  If it is the root filesystem then drop the box to single user
with a read-only root filesystem and do the same (or boot from CD to do
the fsck).

What sort of FS (ext52/3, xfs, etc) is it on?  They all provide a fsck
tool of some description although some of them are only intended for
emergencies.

If you can, take a backup before playing (I'm not suggesting widescale FS
corruption is likely but why risk it).

That ? filetype piqued my interested so I did some RTFM on this. See
http://linux.umbc.edu/lug-mailing-list/2000-04/msg00082.html for further
comments on this problem.  A fsck seems to have helped the guy with the
original problem in that thread.  Other comments in that thread involve
the use of debugfs.  DO NOT use this tool without backing up first - ie,
pulling the data off the system and putting it safely elsewhere.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net