[H-GEN] Logwatch - sendmail loadaverage?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri Oct 17 22:38:20 EDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Bruce Campbell wrote:

> But the problem today is that the Tao has become corrupted with the
> effluent at the bottom of the kitchen sink.  Whilst once a good tool, the
> Sendmail has been force-grown under the influence of the dreaded Feeping
> Creaturism, bending and twisting the Tao out of recognition.

It does/did seem to me that they were trying to cleanup the myriad M4
macros and db files by gradually duplicating all functionality through the
access db.

I've been a long time user/admin of sendmail but I have to say the string
of recent 'sploits hurts and I'm going to be trialling Postfix on one of
my boxes (played with Exim & Qmail previously), it was time to try Postfix
:)

> The main problem is that Sendmail's underlying structure renders it, at
> times, awkward to extend, and it is simply not able to perform as well as

OTOH I've seen some pretty amazing stuff done with a few lines in the .cf.

I have had one or 2 desires for sendmail that weren't natively supported
but might have been possible through changes in the .cf but I've lacked
the time/inclination to debug it to a working state.

> The dual configuration file approach goes out the window the first time
> you discover that you cannot implement feature FOO in .mc-speak, but can
> in .cf-speak.  The .cf file itself, on some installations, reaches the

It is possible to put .cf lines directly in the .mc and have them put
directly into the .cf file when it is generated.  Not pretty but it works.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net