[H-GEN] Installing Binary RPMs as non-root user

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 15 02:49:32 EDT 2003

 --- Raymond Smith <raymond at humbug.org.au> wrote:
> Is there anyway for a non-root user to install RPMs into a
> directory hierarchy that they own? Failing that, does anyone

chroot?

> have pointers on the best method to deconstruct an RPM so I
> can try to install its contents as a non-root user?

RPM's are CPIO archives, so any tool that can unpack them will do the
trick.  Most file managers that can dive into an archive as if it were a
directory should handle RPM's as well.  Midnight Commander and Konqueror
are two that come to mind of the top of my head.

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search