[H-GEN] ADSL Providers Blocking Ports

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Fri Oct 3 05:43:19 EDT 2003

On 2003-10-03, Anthony Irwin wrote:

> I am looking at getting an adsl connection and would like to have a home
> server with a website, ftp, ssh, mail server and any other goodies you can
> think of.
>
> I heard that many providers block ports and do other things to try and stop
> you doing this. What would be good questions to ask and common blocked ports
> that I should ask about to ensure I can do the most with the connection.

The obvious thing to do would be to read the conditions of
service for those providers that interest you.  If they make it
a condition that you not do those things, then you're asking for
trouble if you try to circumvent their rules (which they are
quite entitled to make) -- regardless of any blocks they might
or might not install.

In some cases, providers charge different rates for services
that allow customers to run their own servers -- and they may
well expect the higher-paying customers to have a bit more clue
than home users (although such expectations could be seen as
wishful thinking in many cases).

Cheers, Greg

--
Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> <http://www.gbch.net/gjb.html>
GPG signed mail preferred; further information in headers.