[H-GEN] Mysql & bitwise xor

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Mon Nov 17 20:52:41 EST 2003

Hi Greg,

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 15:49, Greg Black wrote:
> Looking at the packages collection for FreeBSD-4.9 (which I will
> be installing soon), I seem to have a choice of three MySQL
> versions: 3.23.58, 4.0.15 and 4.1.0.  Which would you recommend
> for somebody who is on the verge of making the move to MySQL
> (after years of exclusive use of PostgreSQL)?

It depends on what you're doing.
For production, 4.0.x is the stable series.

I wouldn't mess with 4.1.0.... 4.1.1 is about to be released, and I
would recommend that for a development system so you can play with all
the new stuff. The same will apply when a 5.0 binary comes out.

Generally speaking you would run production on a stable version, and
development on whatever you feel comfortable with. The trick with using
an alpha/dev version for development is that you can get to know new
features and even use them in new apps. By the time the app goes into
production, either the mysql version has gone stable by then, or you
will be so comfortable with that version (knowing how it behaves with
your particular app) that it's no problem running a non-stable version
in production. non-stable does not necessarily mean unstable...

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

MySQL Training courses in Australia: Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?marl