[H-GEN] DVD+RW media for backups

Patrick Nichols pat at humbug.org.au
Tue Nov 18 03:53:55 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 05:35:46PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:

> > I've only spent about $600 on my personal backup solution.  Money well
> > spent if you ask me.
>
> For small networks and home systems, which is what we're really
> covering at Humbug, there are several reasonably-priced backup
> solutions that can be setup.  There are two[1] important steps:

A second hand dds-2 tape drive is an exceedingly reasonable solution.
I've picked up a couple lately, one for a 6 pack of beer (probably
unrealistic to expect this to happen again) and another for $120 which
included 10 tapes of unknown quality.

I added a few extra tapes to this mix, and had a very cheap tape
backup solution to play with.  I even got a cleaning tape to go with
it all.

For a hobbyist, the 4 GB native / 8 GB compressed capacity is more
than enough in usual circumstances. [1]

My personal backup strategy involves use of faubackup, raid 1 and
tape.  Add seasoning to taste.

[1] Do porn [2] and mp3 collections rate as extremely important data to
    you?  Raid 1 is usually sufficient for my storage needs in those
    regards.

[2] No, I don't have a porn collection. (Not that there's anything
    wrong with that.)

--
Patrick.