[H-GEN] Mysql & bitwise xor

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Mon Nov 17 00:33:28 EST 2003

Hi Greg,

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 12:52, Greg Black wrote:
> > What specific file are you referring to, in which distribution/version?
>
> I installed the following two packages from the ports collection
> for FreeBSD-4.8:
>
>     mysql-client-3.23.55 Multithreaded SQL database (client)
>     mysql-server-3.23.55 Multithreaded SQL database (server)
>
> They come with documentation, which is installed by the port
> into /usr/local/share/doc/mysql/manual.html which is where I
> quoted from.  In that version of the manual, which accompanies
> that MySQL release, the XOR and ^ things are documented, but
> without any indication that they are not provided by the MySQL
> release that the documentation refers to.
>
> I hope that's clear.  If not, let me know and I'll try to give
> you any extra information that you might need.

Ok. I think that the FreeBSD ports use the original MySQL source tarball
for that version. So I checked the 3.23.55 source tarball in the
archives, and it indeed has this prob. Please note that 3.23.55 is from
January 2003, nearly a year old.
3.23.58 (the current 3.23) does have it properly documented.
And of course 4.x (which was declared stable a year ago already) too.

In conclusion, it appears to have been a problem in just that one
version, the build just happened to grab the snapshot of the manual at
the wrong time:
The developer who added XOR also added it in the docs (as they should),
but omitted the "added in version #.##" bit. So a member of the Docs
team (me) added it. And the manual snapshot for 3.23.55 was apparently
grabbed in between those two commits.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Melbourne 1 Dec 2003 (5 days): Using & Managing MySQL Training
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?marl