[H-GEN] Mysql & bitwise xor

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Sun Nov 16 21:27:45 EST 2003

Hi Greg,

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 10:29, Greg Black wrote:
> On 2003-11-17, Clinton Roy wrote:
> > "Paul Clarke" <paul at sitedynamics.com.au> writes:
> >
> > > Is it just me or does mysql not like a bitwise xor
> > > I am running MySQL 3.23.49
> >
> > The doc at:
> > http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Reference.html#Bit_functions
> > indicates that bitwise xor was added in 4.0.2.

Correct.

> Another strike against mysql then -- the manual for 3.x has this
> function documented in Section 6.3.6.1 Bit Functions without the
> slightest indicator that it's not implemented.
> To my way of thinking, this is inexcusable.

Well, you know I exist and have something to do with the manual, so the
obvious way to go is to tell me about it ;-)
What specific file are you referring to, in which distribution/version?

Background info:
All builds produced by MySQL AB (mysql.com) do contain a snapshot of the
latest manual (the one that's also on the website in various formats).
This is done so that for instance an improved explanation of a
particular topic may also benefit users of earlier release series. It
should also cause no problems, as changes/additions are indicated (such
as the sentence quoted above by Clinton).
So, there is no "THE manual for 3.x"... it would depend on the build.

I'd very much like to see the exact location, so that we can establish
whether the problem indeed exists and if so where it originates. You are
quite right in saying that such things should not occur. But as we're
all humans, mistakes do happen. So let's see what exactly the situation
is, so that if there is a prob, it can be fixed.
Thanks!

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Melbourne 1 Dec 2003 (5 days): Using & Managing MySQL Training
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?marl