[H-GEN] Any recommendations for Tape Backup software ?

David Jericho davidj at pisoftware.com
Sun Nov 9 21:43:08 EST 2003

Greg Black wrote:

> Well, maybe.  The ability to do that depends on the hardware and
> firmware on the tape drives; the capabilities of the operating
> system's drivers (often far from state of the art); and other
> arcana such as the phase of the moon.

Sorry? I don't understand what you're getting at. I was under the
impression that the software at hand simply was smart enough to
understand an end of file, or end of tape, and ask for a new one.

I'm not using any tape drive smarts to do the spanning, it's all in the
backup software. Dump can do it, tar can do it, Bacula can do it. Amanda
can't do it.

> I'm not fond of amanda, either, but for a far more complex set
> of reasons than this particular issue which is beyond the reach
> of software fixes unless you have the right combination of stuff
> for it to play with.

Of course, my reasons are far more in depth that I have interest in
posting to this list. Far too time consuming for one. And I've already
got a reputation as a ranter, I don't want to enhance it yet further
again :)

--
David Jericho
Systems Administrator, Plugged In Software