[H-GEN] Samba browser woes.

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 30 04:46:07 EDT 2003

I can't get my Samba server to appear in browser lists.  Everything else
seems to work fine though.  Anybody that happens to know my boxes name and
the name of it's shares can manually connect to them, but I don't appear in
network neighbourhood and such.  I know next to nothing about Samba, but I
have been copying the configs from others in the office that work for them.

Some details.  The configs I have copied are from RH 8.0 while mine is SuSE
8.2.  I'm using the Samba 2.2.7a that came with SuSE 8.2.  I've also tried
the default config and various combinations.

Some relevant details from smb.conf without revealing things that are
probably covered by an NDA -
workgroup is the same as everybody elses.
security = SERVER
password server is the same as everybody elses.
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = (my real IP) 127.0.0.1
guest account - I've tried various combinations.
With and without wins server.

The SuSE support database mentions turning off the dummy device, I have
none anyway.  The Samba docs mention /etc/hosts entries that cause problems
-

127.0.0.1 localhost blah foo

They suggest to cut it down to (what I had anyway) -

127.0.0.1 localhost

Any ideas people?