[H-GEN] Sad day for Linux

David Jericho david.jericho at bytecomm.com.au
Tue May 27 22:53:46 EDT 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 10:09:33PM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2003, David Jericho wrote:
> > But it has been done, and only recently. Rambus and their interaction
> > with the JEDEC panel concerning SDRAM and DIMM technology.
>
> Hi David.  Could you expand on this?  Did they insert code or
> documentation years ago to deliberately defraud someone today?  That's
> what I was getting at vis-a-vis a conspiracy theory.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is the 168 pin packaging
format for the DIMMs.

Rambus had done work on it, had patents in process, and did not
declare any of these in patents to the JEDEC panel, of which they were
members of.

They pushed very hard for the 168pin packaging format, let the people adopt
the standard, by which time the patent had finally come through, and then
went chasing for royalites.

It was mentioned many many times on Slashdot, and even the
userfriendly.org cartoon. A quick search will reveal more info there.

--
David Jericho

--
Scanned and found clear of viruses by EntireScan.  http://www.entirescan.com/