[H-GEN] Sad day for Linux

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue May 27 09:54:52 EDT 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Marco Grigull wrote:

> If its possible that a tiny chunk of linux code resembles that of the
> SCO code (by maybe even SCO having taken it from linux sources) AND M$

There is protection against this - all releases of the Linux kernel are
open to view, and thousands of witnesses have seen that a particular
version of the kernel was released on a particular day.  Therefore the
existance of certain source within the kernel at any give time is beyond
doubt.  The onus of proof is on SCO to support their cliams, so in order
to falsify a claim of copyright infringement, they would need to recreate
an earlier version SCO with the code inserted.  This is indeed the stuff
of conspiracy theory and can therefore be ignored.

I refuse to believe they set this up years ago by inserting code & then
hiding it.  By this time we have reached the realm of the absurd.

In any case the biggest problem with any conspiracy theory is that people
talk.  Most conspiracy theories fail to hold water because in general
there would be a clear economic benefit for those involved to be the first
one to spill the beans to CNN.  One of the (few) benefits of our
mass-media driven world is there is benefit to being the "whistleblower".

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119