[H-GEN] Sad day for Linux

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Tue May 27 01:57:26 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 09:33 am, David Thorndike wrote:

> SCO nows says that anyone using linux without paying
> SCo a licensing fee is breaking copyright laws.
>
> And also SCO has now licensed its software to MS.
>
> http://www.itnews.com.au/storycontent.cfm?ID=8&Art_ID=12081
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,81352,00
>.html?SKC=linux-81352

Unfortunately, this issue has the potential to severely damage the progress of
Linux, and other open source software (OSS), in the corporate world.  Not
because of any legitimacy in the claim by SCO, but because of ignorance and
fear - fear of being sued.

I'm sure there are a number of decision makers in the corporate world who are
not well educated about OSS, who have read the SCO announcement.  Without the
benefit of other knowledge they will react in a OSS negative way.  With the
benefit of advice from third parties (legal consultants, industry analysts,
etc.), they will still react in a cautious (better safe than sorry) manner.

As a result, my guess would be that Microsoft has already benefited from this,
and at the same time Red Hat, Mandrake, et. al. have already lost out.  I
feel sure there have already been some new deployments, originally planned
around Linux, changed to Windows deployments at the last minute, simply in
reaction to the SCO announcements.

It is for this reason that I am surprised at, what seems to be, a rather mute
and unconvincing response from the open source world.  I would have thought
that very loud and very public responses from the likes of Red Hat, GNU, IBM,
etc. for SCO to 'put up or shut up' would have been appropriate from the
outset.  The potential damage to OSS businesses is quite high no matter how
easily SCO's claims are shown to be unsupportable.  And the longer it takes,
the more potential damage.

I agree that the SCO claims are worthy of no more than contempt, but as many
politicians have learned, no matter how contemptable the mud when it is
thrown some will always stick and the trick is to stop the mud being thrown
as soon as possible.

My $0.02 worth.