[H-GEN] GNU Autotools and project management

Andrae Muys andrae.muys at braintree.com.au
Tue May 20 20:22:13 EDT 2003

David Findlay wrote:

> Could anyone point me to a howto on open source project management using GNU
> Autotools? I'd like my project to use the standard autogen.sh, and
> ./configure; make; make install system used by GNU stuff, but the Autotools
> manual is rather daunting. All the examples are either to complex or too
> simple for my project. Is there any beginner's crash course in Autotools
> around? Or would my time be better spent fully understanding the Autotools
> manual? Thanks,

I have a copy of the New Riders, "GNU Autoconf, Automake and Libtool" on
the shelf behind me.  It is definately very useful if you are going to
use these tools.  OTOH when things go wrong I sometimes think the
autotools are on par with pre-M4 Sendmail configuration[1] when it come
to opaque debugging exercises.

Andrae

[1] Well at least was reputed to be, as a developer I was spared that
particular joy.

--
Andrae Muys <andrae.muys at braintree.com.au>
Engineer