[H-GEN] Running SuSE 8.1- NOT!

Rick Phillips rickp at suntech.net.au
Mon May 19 19:47:50 EDT 2003

> Personally I prefer Debian.  Setting up & maintaining Samba using this
> distro is pretty trivial.  Similarly other distros like Redhat and
> Mandrake make it easy to install and use Samba.

Hi Alex,

Years ago SuSE was the first distribution I tried for my adventure into
Linux but they were "rough" days with Linux then and it was hard going.  I
purchased it for the same reasons you did.  Somewhere along the way, I
discovered Mandrake and have never looked back.  As a relative "newbie", I
have been able to set up my Samba server through Mandrake Control Centre
which is just a couple of clicks.  I have done it also in the past by
editing the conf file by I am not into pain and when a distro offers an
easier way, I have taken it.  I tried SuSE recently again but did not like
it - their YaST is definitely not as good as Mandrake Control Centre. (This
will start a religious war).

I have also been able to set up Apache with virtual domains running php and
MySql, named, qmail, ezmlm-idx, firewalling, scanners, web cams, internal
modems of all makes including PcTel and other low priced laptop types.  For
a look at a php site on the very server I describe go to
http://www.suntech.net.au/ - not super but all my own work.

I have also had a fair bit of experience with the new Xandros which is
Debian (woody) based and it too is a VERY easy distro to install but fails a
bit in the area of scanners.  Xandros finds all NFS and Windows shares "out
of the box" and with Crossover Office, allows the installation of MS Office
97/2000, Outlook/Express, QuickBooks 8/2002 and some Windows games.  For a
transitional distro from Windows to Linux, this is ideal and you have all of
the huge range of Debian software available to install.  Xandros also has a
modified file manager which leaves other distros and Windows for dead -
although that may be viewed as a "taste" thing.

For my money, I would give Mandrake 9.1 a try as it is "industrial strength"
and in Mandrake Control Centre, you have almost everything you need to get
going quickly.  My philosophy in your situation would be to use whatever
tools you have to get going quickly and then learn about what you have done
later.  That is the way I have done things and it has worked for me.  I am
self taught, have no  IT education nor do I have a Red Hat certificate or
MSCE certificate but I am over the hump now and am passionate about Linux in
all its forms.

Persevere - you will be pleased you did in the end.

Regards,

Rick