[H-GEN] Books on architecture of Unix

Stephen Connor sconnor at austarnet.com.au
Sun May 18 14:54:04 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 16:36, Ben Fowler wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Way back in university, we briefly covered the innards of Unix in our
> operating systems subject.  While we didn't spend a great deal of time
> on Unix's internal workings, we did have Marice Bach's 'Design of the
> Unix Operating System' set as a recommended text.
>
> I skimmed it a while ago, and although it was very interesting, I heard
> from a number of people that they thought the concepts covered in the
> book were somewhat dated.
>
> I'm after a book which will give me a pretty decent understanding of the
> internals of a modern Unix operating system (short of reading the actual
> source code, of course).  Will Bach cut the mustard or do people have
> their favourite books on this topic that they'd like to recommend?

If you are looking for a book on OS design rather than OS code then
Operating Systems (4th Edition) by William Stallings is good. It goes
over Unix and NT, both in reasonable detail.

Before I buy a book I always go onto Amazon to see what people say. In
this case I believe it would be a good place to go.

--
Stephen Connor <sconnor at austarnet.com.au>