[H-GEN] Books on architecture of Unix

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Sat May 17 20:15:24 EDT 2003

Ben Fowler <fowlerb at optushome.com.au> writes:

> I'm after a book which will give me a pretty decent understanding of
> the internals of a modern Unix operating system (short of reading the
> actual source code, of course).

I heartily recommend Stevens's Advanced Programming in the Unix
Environment (I think that's the title).  After my copy became lost
some years ago I have been looking to replace it but sadly I've never
seen it on sale for a price close to what was paid for it originally.

In any event I thought it was *excellent*.  It may not fit your needs
and expectations, though---spend some time with it first to check.
--
``Oooh!  A gingerbread house!  Hansel and Gretel are set for life!''