[H-GEN] VNC for console apps??

Russell Stuart russell at stuart.wattle.id.au
Fri May 16 03:23:53 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 15:09, Paul Gearon wrote:
> If you really need to see what's on their screen then you can cat
> /dev/vcs? where the ? is the console number.  Unfortunately, this doesn't
> let you interact with the program talking to the console, only view the
> console or change the text that's being displayed on it.  There's also the
> /dev/vcsa? nodes which do pretty much the same thing, only they also show
> control characters (using some obscure translation which I don't really
> get).  For more on this see "man vcsa"
>
> Not quite what you need, but I hope it helps.

Ye Gods!  Yes, it does help a great deal.  And damm.  If I had of done a
"man -k console" I could of found that myself.  It is now trivial to
write a curses app that displays what is on virtual console the screen,
just like VNC does.

So, does anybody know if there is a way of pragmatically forcing key
strokes into the virtual consoles input buffer?