[H-GEN]

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed May 14 00:18:32 EDT 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Sandra Milne wrote:

> Sounds like you told linux that the hardware clock was storing time in
> GMT. Since Brisbane is GMT+1000, that would make a lot of sense that

If a unix box is only running a single OS (no multi-boot) it is preferable
to set the system (and hardware) clock to GMT.  This has all sorts of
useful benefits, observe...

I am in Canada, but this system is in Australia:

blake:~$ echo $TZ
Canada/Eastern
blake:~$ date
Wed May 14 00:12:19 EDT 2003
blake:~$ export TZ=Australia/Queensland
blake:~$ date
Wed May 14 14:12:41 EST 2003

I am able to run this system in Queensland, but have it show times
correctly for me by setting TZ (which is done in .bashrc[1]).  Other users
of this system in Queensland (there are a handful) see the correct time
for their timezone.  This means that all of my mails go out timestamped
correctly and all of my files are timestamped in my tomezone (actually
they are timestampted in GMT but the view I see is timezone corrected).

> it'd skip 10 hours ahead of what you set the hardware clock to. Always
> something to watch out for when installing linux.

It is definately realted to the timezone (perhaps being misinterpreted)
but wherever possible, I recommend running the system in GMT (this is a
long standing unix "best practice").

Cheers,
	Rob

--