[H-GEN] rebuilding a machine

Ben Fowler fowlerb at optushome.com.au
Sat May 10 08:24:39 EDT 2003

Marco Grigull wrote:
> On Sat, 10 May 2003 13:24:29 +1000
> Sandra Milne <silne at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>>I'm blowing away partitions on the new disk anyway, and wanted to
>>completely reinstall debian 3.0 as the current effort is a dist-upgrade
>>that's gotten a bit messy as ppl (read me) decided "hey this would be
>>kewl", installed it, then went "oh wait that wasn't want I wanted",
>>tried to remove it, and left various packages scattered around
>>half-installed and very messy. etc etc ad nauseum. long story shortened,
>>production b0xes are not for playing with. lesson learned, rebuild badly
>>needed.
>
> dpkg has a --purge option for blowing away related config files, Im not
> sure if apt suppports it directly.  Someone may know an apt::config option
> for this

I believe so, e.g.

apt-get --purge remove samba samba-common

You can verify this by using dpkg --list and grepping for the packages
you removed in the output.  If you did a straight remove, they should be
still listed with the "rc" mode to the left of the package name.  If you
purged the package OTOH, the package shouldn't be listed at all.

-regards,

Ben.