[H-GEN] Linux Backup

David Jericho david.jericho at bytecomm.com.au
Fri May 9 02:55:12 EDT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 02:22:44AM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> backup you can lose considerably more than that.  In the end it is risk
> assessment but I've seen far too many tapes (and drives) return errors to
> feel comfortable software compressing to tape.

Same could be said about CDs, hard drives, and other backup media I
can think of.

> On the whole I've gone off tapes as a backup solution anyway.  Too many
> problems overall.

Not that I'm defending tape, but the problem appears to be there is no
better solution.

After what's probably half a century of using tape, the ins and outs
of tape are well known.

> Interfacing zip with dump or tar to get the desired result is left as an
> exercise for the reader.

I feel using zip or the like to do an individual file is a bit weak as
well. If one file gets corrupted, it's probably that 160MB autocad
image. Of course, you can quite successfully argue that you minimise the
chances of a particular file being corrupted because it's compressed.

--
David Jericho

--
Scanned and found clear of viruses by EntireScan.  http://www.entirescan.com/