[H-GEN] Samba on SuSE 8.1

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Wed May 7 18:48:46 EDT 2003

On Thursday 8 May 2003 12:51 am, Michael Anthon wrote:

> Why use the source?  Surely Suse has a precompiled package?  As a learning
> exercise I wouldn't be starting with a self built version since a prebuilt
> one is more likely to work.

Agree entirely with this sentiment.
The only advantage I see of using the source is immediate access to the latest
patches and fixes.

> > What is the quickest way to find out if the server is running. It is set
>
> try 'ps auxww | grep smb'.  (see man ps for more juicy details)

I regulary use 'ps -ef | grep mbd'.  This checks for both daemons.  :-)

> > A. Created a file called rc.samba which I have put into
> > B. Within /etc/int.d/rc5.d created a symbolic link called
>
> At a quick glance this would probably work but it lacks a few features
> normally included in the init scripts (another reason for using a package
> since that will provide a full blown init script).

Agree again.

Referring to starting the daemons, another good reference (in my experience)
is Chapter 2.5 of the book "Using Samba" published by O'Reilly & Associates.
I downloaded an html version of the whole book from samba.org.au some time
ago.  Just had a quick look for the url but couldn't find it, so if you want
I can email a 1.22MB tgz file.

> Hehe, gratuitous fawning and boot licking, I like it !

Not sure thats quite what Alex meant.  ;-)  But, it is nice to know people
appreciate the effort.  I know that I'm very thankful for the assistance I've
received from people on this list in the past.