[H-GEN] Where is etc/profiles, etc/bashrc, etc/csh.cshrc

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Sun May 4 01:21:45 EDT 2003

On 2003-05-04, Alex Delaforce wrote:

> I have installed Samba from source into a Suse 8.1 linux setup. In the
> Samba Unleashed book it tells me to configure my path and manpath
> variables in the file such as etc/profiles, etc/bashrc, etc/csh.cshrc.
> /etc/profiles exists but the commenting tell you not to edit the file
> but to change the .profiles file in the ~ directory.
>
> Which file should I use to add the path= and manpath= variables?
>
> I can't find bashrc and csh.cshrc.

You've got a lot of things mixed up here and I'm not going to
unravel it all for you.  First, you need to be careful with your
spelling -- /etc/profile might exist, but /etc/profiles should
not.  If you're talking about /etc/profile or ~/.profile, then
you're discussing Bourne-type shells (sh, bash, zsh, and so on),
and so the variables are $PATH and $MANPATH; if you're talking
about $path, then you;re looking at the csh/tcsh family.

In any case, you need first to decide which shell family you're
interested in; and then you need to read its man page which will
state clearly which of these files are read and in what order --
and the man pages will also tell you a lot of other stuff about
the shells that you'll need to know.

As for which file to use for your own settings, that depends on
whether you're making a change for all users on your system, or
for an individual.  Again, the man pages will help to make it
clear which applies -- but, as a general rule, files in /etc
will have a global effect while files in a user's home directory
will apply only to that user.

If you've got more questions after digesting the relevant man
pages, I'm sure you'll find more help here.

Greg

--
Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> <http://www.gbch.net/gjb.html>
GPG signed mail preferred; further information in headers.