[H-GEN] How do X Windows know where to pop up?

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Sun Mar 30 17:12:30 EST 2003

Okay.

This has been driving me *crazy* for, oh, years, but it only recently
(as in a couple of months) became truly annoying.  Whenever I start,
say, xzgv(1) or ImageMagick's display(1) program, the window is mapped
in such a way that I almost always have to resize it (xzgv) or move it
back to the middle of the screen (display).  This drives me crazy!

In both cases I think it's a matter of these programs having been in
that state once before (now that I think of it xchat likes to start
with its window border just a little outside the viewable area of the
screen).

Now I'm sure there's some resource or something that is set, but I
can't find it; my dot-files seem pretty straightforward and it occurs
to me that this could well have more to do with my window manager,
pwm, than anything else, but I don't see that it keeps state anywhere
either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm running XFree86, 4.2.1.

jason
--
``I didn't program you for sarcasm.''