[H-GEN] Sound card problems...

Shane Ravenn sravenn at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 26 01:53:41 EST 2003

Thanks to Sandra and Tony for their input earlier.

Seems I had a card that just didn't want to play nice. I tried
everything, and wound up with all sorts of problems up to a completely
locked system. I'd try and play a sound of some sort, and if it worked
at all it'd get caught in a looped soundbyte. I ended up taking the
card back.

I picked up another which I was sure would work. A Creative Sound
Blaster PCI4.1 Digital which was detected but sndconfig as an Ensoniq
5880, but not written to the config file, while 'dpk-reconfigure
alsa-base' didn't list any suitable or modules. The best I could get
gives this error message:
Starting ALSA sound driver (version none): ens1371-failed no driver
installed.
Although the ALSA page shows the compatible module being ens1373.

I'm not sure where else to go with this, as I always either had a sound
card during an install, or not had one at all.

Shane Ravenn

--
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
 - Chinese proverb