[H-GEN] Getting on the internet ?

Christopher Biggs listjunkie at pobox.com
Thu Mar 20 01:45:12 EST 2003

I wrote:
>>From the detailed description you provided of both the problem and
> your hardware, I can assure you that it couldn't possibly be your fault.
>
> Nobody else has EVER managed to get ANY of those six operating systems
> you listed to connect to the internet before either.  Goddess knows
> what the authors were thinking, releasing them in such an unfinished
> state.

OK, so enough kicking you while you're down...

Rodney <rodney at eis.net.au> wrote:

> I use a NetCom Roadster 56 externel modem and put the same details
> into each distro ie isp phone number ,username, password and sometimes
> dns numbers if needed.

Any OS is, for all practical purposes, as good as another.  Hell, even
MS-DOS can do a PPP connection.

Randomly changing variables (or whole OSen) and hoping things will
come good will get you nowhere.

You have to pick a goal and work at it by changing one thing at a
time.

So choose which operating system you actually want to use, and work at
it from there.  (smeg it, what's wrong with debian or redhat? they're
both near the top of the pile).  Once you have your OS of choice
installed, you want to turn on debug logging in PPP (which can be as
simple as adding the line "debug" to /etc/ppp/options) and examine the
detailed packet log of a failed connection.

--cjb