[H-GEN] ???GPL licence database program to run under Linux!!

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at humbug.org.au
Thu Mar 20 00:13:01 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Russell Mathews wrote:

> Hi All,
> 	I will appreciate having the benefit of the wisdom of humbug gurus
> re a data base program in which I can design my own data base, and which I
> can then interrogate with SQL and like.

There are several options for this the most common two are PostgreSQL
and MySQL.

Personally I use PostgreSQL, I like the complete SQL set and the
security module, alos the procedural languages that can be run in the db
server itself.

I have in the past used MySQL and found it to be alright, if some of the
SQL set is turned off, it is tuned right and uses it's internal table
types it can be very fast. That being said I personally didn't like the
security model and found the incomplete sql set to be a problem for me.

I suggest that you take a look at both of these products and make up
your own mind about what you want to use. Databases, like editors (well
editors other than vi;) and linux distros can be the cause of a jihad. It
all comes down to personal preference.

Nikolai