[H-GEN] Recommendations for a cheap internal modem which works with Linux and Windows

Rick Phillips rickp at sunstatestamps.com.au
Sun Mar 16 22:48:27 EST 2003

> Well....my ADSL application got rejected today from internode on the
> basis that I have an Optus line.  Since I dont want a 12
> month contract
> with Optus Cable...I think my only alternative is to use
> dialup.  So I am
> after recommendations for a cheap internal modem which will work
> under linux and windows.  I am not really up to date with whats in
> modems nowadays...but I do know I want it to support V.90, V.92(?),
> flex, and fax.  Is there any other modem functions I should
> be looking
> for?  Also....even though I am not really after an external
> modem...any
> suggestions?
> If you have any to avoid, please tell me also.

I have installed internal modems under Mandrake with Lucent, and Conexant
(both HCF and HSF) chipsets.  I have had more trouble with Red Hat and SuSE.
Go to www.linmodems.org for downloadable binaries & RPM's and lots of info.

AFAIK, all modems today are V.90 with some being V.92 compliant.

internal modem installation are a "snip" today if you have some experience
with Linux.

Regards,

Rick Phillips