[H-GEN] clustering @ Humbug

Marco Grigull kni501ss at optushome.com.au
Sun Mar 16 03:22:31 EST 2003

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:22:29 +1000
Tony Bilbrough <mtbilbro at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> But while on the topic of Clustering, those interested know that we have
> accumulated some 6 or 7 computers, monitor and keyboards, now.
> Marco Grigul has faithfully lugged every one of them to Humbug for the
> last 3 meetings.

Actually, I didnt bring the gear to the last 2 meetings, as I had other engagements
and/or limited time.

> There they have reclined, as a pile
> - indolent and at rest

One of them almost has a complete debian installation, minus the McBoot partition.
It would help if others interested could bring along some mac monitors,
as my other ones arent suitable for the project.  Even vga monitors will do, with
the right adapter (these can be built).  Then they can get in on the install, as
the install is unexpectedly slow. (considering its standard IDE gear, and a 200
MHz cpu)

> No sign of those who asked for the boxen for the Clustering Project

Actually, David Seikel helped with making the boot floppies from Tony, mine were
all cactus. Steve donated a blank cdr to the cause, and David Makepeace was kind
enough to populate it with a Debian iso.

> Is Clustering a goer at the next Humbug?

This depends.  The 2 pc nodes were sitting there for the entire time untouched.
I believe they both need HDDs, and possibly network cards.  I havent really looked
at them as the macs are proving to be enough of a handful.  Ill let someone else
drive the pc cluster.

As for the macs, I can build them up at home without lugging them to Humbug - unless
others do want a crack at it.

> Or did we get our dates for the project start, wrong?

Well, it was delayed a few times, by various people for different reasons.
David Seikel suggested that a cluster meeting might be in order.....

Cheers,
Marco

-
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition