[H-GEN] RedHat 8.0 issues

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Sun Mar 16 00:57:44 EST 2003

On Sun Mar 16 2003 at 12:33, David Jericho wrote:

> There seem to be funny i18n issues between a 8.0 workstation and a 7.3
> server, such that things don't seem to display properly. I haven't
> been able to track the problem down fine enough to submit a Bugzilla
> report yet.

Oh yes, this bit me very early as well.  This is something that is
also "a work in progress"... not all apps (eg, perl) know how to
handle the new LANG settings.  This is a very well-known problem
(and would be somewhere in bugzilla for a long time).

Edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n and change the default setting to en_US,
ie, take out the utf-8 stuff (eg, "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" becomes
"LANG=en_US").  Then (especially after a reboot) have some peace :)

> I'll have to look at upgrading all my 7.3 servers at work to 8.0 or
> 8.1(Phoebe?) soon to stay on track.

You mean: stay on track with the added functionality that comes with
updated versions of the apps?  Yes, that can certainly provide
strong motivation :)

> David Jericho

Cheers
Tony