[H-GEN] ADSL Internet providers

Steven McIntyre stev at uq.net.au
Fri Jun 27 08:47:10 EDT 2003

> In my experience 90% of problems have been due to overloaded
> authentication servers which are in place due to a bad purchasing
> decision. Oh and the early issue with adsl going down every time it
> rained.
  You are correct actually, well sort of.  I'm being a bit vague
which isnt helping too much.  At work we call them "outages"
and "faults".  Interpret outages where IPSN/BRAS fail, knocking
out a few thousand customers at a time...

  As for authentication, you get a much more "reliable"
service if you obtain ADSL via an ISP (just my opinion).  Like
the ADSL i'm using at home, we've had practically no problems
at all in the 6 months we've been using it.

  On the other hand faults, affect individual customers.  except
when there's an N-K fault; but ignore that (ISP issues).

  And just so I state the obvious:

  You can't get ADSL unless you are within 3.5km of an
Telstra exchange.  And you can't get ADSL if this exchange
is a RIM or you are on a pair-gain system.
  (Just before I get bombarded with emails from people who
can't get ADSL for the above reasons).

  Now I'm going to bed; *yawn*
--

Steven McIntyre