[H-GEN] ADSL Internet providers

Steven McIntyre stev at uq.net.au
Thu Jun 26 08:18:38 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 06:53:19PM +1000, Sandra Milne wrote:
> >  I'm used to dealing with C/X pairs, looking at CMUX/ASAM
> >viewing C/S/P programming on XDM etc etc etc.
> >
> Could we please have the layperson's translation of that?
  Sorry about that; this stuff refers to the exchange level
programming.  C/X pairs are the jumper wires.  CMUX/ASAM
are types of exchanges, C/S/P refers to channel/slot/port
and XDM is the software used by telstra to programme the
ADSL service (which btw seems to run on a solaris based
system).

  ADSL faults tend to fall into the following categories:

  - user error
  - problem with the customer's equipment
  - programming error
  - cabling/exchange fault

  Based on my experience in the last month, less than one
third of reported faults turn out to be a cabling/exchange
fault.

  I forgot to mention this before as well (if you do
have a problem with an ADSL service, tell me the
following)

  Do you have dial tone on the line?
  Do you have sync?

  If you dont tell me the answers to those questions,
I'm not interested.  I'm not here to play twenty
questions; I've got better things to do with my time :)

--

Steven McIntyre
stev at uq.net.au