[H-GEN] Disk errors under solaris

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Tue Jun 24 21:44:18 EDT 2003

> You will notice at the top that all the errors come from "no device" (at least
> sd0 is) which usualy comes from SCSI timeouts.  Go through the rest and you
> will likely find a similar scenario.  By the looks of it you have either a
> dodgy SCSI backplane/terminators or cabling.  I'd investigate these areas
> first.

Ahh.. I've been looking at this too long, I hadn't even noticed that.
Kinda makes a little more sense now, thanks.  Output showing both error
lines is this...

sd0     Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 134 Transport Errors: 1388
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 129 Recoverable: 0
sd6     Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 4
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
sd7     Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 1 Transport Errors: 0
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 1 Recoverable: 0
sd8     Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 4 Transport Errors: 18
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 4 Recoverable: 0
sd9     Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 3 Transport Errors: 0
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 3 Recoverable: 0
sd10    Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 129 Transport Errors: 117
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 129 Recoverable: 0
sd11    Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 125 Transport Errors: 117
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 125 Recoverable: 0

so yes, the "No Device" does line up reasonably well with the "Hard
Errors" except on sd0.  I'm still looking for a full explanation of
possible causes of these errors and still haven't found anything.

Thanks
Michael