[H-GEN] Linux DVD

Robert Stuart Robert.Stuart at qsa.qld.edu.au
Fri Jun 20 01:38:32 EDT 2003

Paul Cornford wrote:
> Robert Stuart wrote:
>     if you find the dependencies a nightmare, use
>     "yum".
>
> Yes, there is quite a list of them for the MPlayer from freshrpms. I
> downloaded the RH8 version. So what is "yum"? (if you will pardon my
> ignorance)

Yum will automatically look after dependencies for you.  For example,
you could do "yum install mplayer" and yum would figure out the
dependencies for mplayer and install them along with mplayer.  Rather
handy esp in the case of mplayer.  I started using it when I started
playing with jpackage java packages and dependencies got rediculous.

yum requires repositories to be made of packages (it needs the header
information for each pacakge), but there are public ones that you can
use.  You can also do "yum update" which will give you a list of
outstanding updates for your system and ask you if you want to install.

Regards,

Robert

--
Robert Stuart