[H-GEN] Is GnuCash ready for prime-time? Was: RFC: SCO

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at panix.com
Thu Jun 19 12:50:51 EDT 2003

Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> writes:

> On 2003-06-18, Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:
>> Oh, trust me, I really wanted to know---it was stopping me from
>> reading *USENET*!!!  If I had two computers to throw at a problem like
>> that right now I would be having a lot more fun.
> As I recall, some technical problem stopped me from reading
> Usenet about 8 years ago -- ah yes, I remember: it was a lack of
> time.

Sounds like you need a specially crafted zoneinfo entry too!

> Well it would be a matter of a few minutes to craft a zoneinfo file
> that switched into DST every Saturday and out every Sunday and then
> run your buggy software from an environment where TZ was set to that
> file.

This is such a stunningly good idea that it bears repeating.  I was
thinking of switching to INN but I did badly want to submit a bug
report.

> If it's really the switch that triggers the problem, this will do it
> for you.  If you don't know the file format, the documentation won't
> take long to get on top of.

Nope, I'm on top of that, or can be---I use the zoneinfo stuff all the
time to get some idea of what time it is in various parts of the
world:

        # what time is it in Jason-land?
        $ zdump America/New_York
        # or Brisbane?
        $ zdump Australia/Brisbane

jason
--
Stay up-to-date on what I'm doing lately:
                                 http://www.panix.com/~jasonp