[H-GEN] Voice recognition

ben.carlyle at invensys.com ben.carlyle at invensys.com
Mon Jun 2 04:32:55 EDT 2003

Hello,

David Findlay <david at davsoft.com.au>
Sent by: Majordomo <majordom at caliburn.humbug.org.au>
02/06/03 16:30
Please respond to general

        cc:
        Subject:        [H-GEN] Voice recognition

> I have this bizarre attraction to the idea of wiring up my house with
> microphones, and hooking it up to a computer to enable voice control of
> windows, doors, lights, etc. Anyone know of free software for voice
> recognition? The one project I've found is abandoned. Thanks,

Perhaps for the kinds of simple statements/commands you're looking for you
could rig something up from commodity hardware. My brother has an ongoing
door-lock improvement project he's been working on for quite a few years
now. While I suspect this isn't exactly what you're looking for he was
able to rig up a "Girltech" voice activated password journal to allow
voice access to his humble abode :) In that particular example only his
voice is recognised which might be a negative in your case, and also
requires the press of a button to turn the microphone on an issue the
challenge phrase.

Again, I don't think you'd get much mileage out of transplanting that idea
directly you might find something applicable floating around in the toy
market which wouldn't require your PC to be in control of 240V
supplies[1].

Benjamin

[1] I presume you know what you're doing when it comes to relatively
high-voltage electronics ;)