[H-GEN] Puzzled by 'disk full' message

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at humbug.org.au
Thu Jul 31 09:59:04 EDT 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Alex Delaforce wrote:

> I tried to use webmin to set up Bind as I thought this would be easier
> that coding the files directly, then I got lost as I went between
> various references trying to understand the terminology. I'm going to
> the next Humbug meeting to get some help as I'm getting hopelessly lost
> in what other seem to consider obvious stuff.

I n my experience the webin interfaces just suck :) I find them too
limiting for creating working config files. I find an editor and the man
page for the file often is more than enough to get simple or complex
setups working, it's also easier to debug any config errors.

As for DNS confusion have you looked at the relevant HOWTO's? I found
that wrapping my head around getting a proper DNS setup took me a little
bit, first I had to understand the nature and structure of the entire
domain name system.

> > > Question 1 - What happened to the other 5 or so Gig?
> >
> > What file system are you using? If you are using ext3 or
> > another journaling system remeber the size of the journal.
>
> Would you really lose 5 to 6 Gig from a 11 gig partition to the
> Journaling overheads?

it does seem kind of large but their could be other issues involved. How
much space is reserved for root? I would also consider if a journaling
system was required for that partition ... kinda like i would find
journaling a waste for something like /tmp .

Just out of interest what is the filesystem?

Nikolai