[H-GEN] Puzzled by 'disk full' message

Alex Delaforce alextdel at lithoptix.com
Wed Jul 30 21:55:06 EDT 2003

Having messed around with DNS and some other things I got to a stage
where I lost track of all the settings I had changed so I reloaded
Mandrake 9.1. I couldn't get the DNS working properly anyway....

When copying the CDs to a partition on hdc (second IDE drive) I mounted
a 12 G partition as /var/CDs (only a very small swap partition on hdc
apart from this). Inside /var/CDs I made new directories with names like
'Server Install CD1' then copied the CD from '/mnt/cdrom' to the
'/var/CDs/Server Install CD1' directory as root. When I got to the 7th
CD I was informed that the disk is full! (~700M x 7 = ~4.9 Gig )

The /var/CDs partition is 12 Gig but looking at the /var/CDs partition
it says its full at 100% usage of '/:'with a report of 5.8 Gig
(filesystem overheads?, I don't know)

Question 1 - What happened to the other 5 or so Gig?
Question 2 - How can I change the maximum size of /var/CDs within the
partition I have already made so I can finish the job of copying the Cds
to my second hdd?.

This is probably based on another piece of 'really basic' info I have
yet to grasp but I would appreciate being pushed ot kicked in the right
direction.

Thanks

Alex Delaforce
  Director of Technology