[H-GEN] Backup

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Jul 28 19:18:19 EDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Tony Melia (DMS) wrote:

> I am looking at creating a simple backup to a remote share of my RH7 linux
> box.  I tried arring, but it stops at 2G which I found was the limit (the
> remote share is via samba smbmount).  What's the best way for me to do this,

Supposedly you should be able to mount a samba share with -o lfs (large
files) but my own test this very day indicates at least some versions of
samba were silently ignoring this option.  If you do try this, go only
with the latest stable (or latest beta if you have to).

Alternatively you can split the file (using split -b or a host of other
options) to ensure none of your files hit the 2Gb limit.

> based on the fact that my system is about 4G of data.  I have a 2G file
> limit, so the solution must allow me to split files, and it must be easy to
> 'unsplit' them in the event I need to restore.  Also, I have directories I

If you use split -b to split the files, they can be reassembled in order
using cat.

Eg:

split -b bigfile. produces bigfile.aa bigfile.ab bigfil.ac etc.
Notice the use of the "."

Then you can:

cat bigfile.* > restored_bigfile

To get the file back.

> need to --exclude.  Tar -cjvf works find other than the 2G limit, although I
> saw posts on google suggest not to use compression as the whole archive
> could be lost if any part becomes corrupt.

This is especially true with tapes.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119