[H-GEN] PHP & MYSQL On Linux

Josh Goes josh at thechatplace.net
Mon Jul 28 08:55:13 EDT 2003

In your PHP scripts:

<?php
// change the values to suit your server setup.
// note: if you are having issues with using 'localhost' then try using
another IP that your server box has (e.g. a LAN one).
mysql_connect("dbserverip", "dbusername", "dbpassword");
mysql_select_db("dbname");

$sql = "SELECT * FROM table";
$result = mysql_query($sql);

while ($ar = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
    echo $ar["columnname"];        // don't forget column names are case
sensitive
}

// use $HTTP_GET_VARS and/or $HTTP_POST_VARS in PHP to be able to bring user
input into the SQL statement.

mysql_close();
?>

In your shell, you can create a MySQL database by:

# mysqladmin create dbname

Then you can get into your new database by:

# mysql dbname

Inside there you can run SQL statements and queries etc. www.mysql.com for
data types and functions etc.

Before I wrap this up, if you do allow data that a user can tamper with into
your SQL statements then you better check it otherwise you are putting
yourself in a big security hole. Here's an example:

$SQL = "UPDATE Users SET Password = '" . $HTTP_POST_VARS["password"] . "'
WHERE Username = '" . $HTTP_POST_VARS["username"] . "'";

Someone can easily make their $HTTP_POST_VARS equal this: "' OR Username
like '%"
This would cause your SQL statement to behave like this:
UPDATE Users SET Password = 'valuefrompostvars' WHERE Username = '' OR
Username like '%'
And that will change the 'password' column in every record in the table
'Users'.

Just be aware of that because I have fallen victim to it!

Hope this helps and makes sense.
Josh.