[H-GEN] A Few Quick Questions

Nick Kwiatkowski nickolas at au1.ibm.com
Sun Jul 27 21:19:48 EDT 2003

On 2003-07-28, Greg Black wrote:
>On 2003-07-27, Anthony Irwin wrote:
>
>> I do however have a small problem, the company requires that we run some
>> windows software. The software that is required to run is the software
they
>> produce and sell.
>
> Well, quite obviously, they need Windows boxes (running whatever
> Windows versions they "support"), to develop and test this stuff
> on.  Anything else is plain silly (and, from the perspective of
> the paying customers for that software, close to fraudulent).
>
> I'm not a fan of using Windows and generally refuse to do so
> myself, but this sounds like a situation where they should eat
> their own dog food.

While eating your own dog food is good for customers, the taste is hard to
get used too :)

An alternative would be to use the other main point behind the wine project
and using winelib[1] and port the applications across to Linux. Since these
are your company's own products you:

1) Have the source
2) Create a new makret space for your product

Ciao,

Nik

[1] There are also numerous other projects that can help in this area as
well.

Nickolas Kwiatkowski
IT Architect
AMS Solutions Enablement (ASE)
Application Management Services
IBM Global Services Australia
phone:  07 3887 6304,  mobile:  0412 121 276,  email:  nickolas at au1.ibm.com
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" - Albert Einstein